The FBI and the federal Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) have issued a ransomware awareness alert for the upcoming holiday weekend. The FBI and CISA have observed a trend of increased attacks around U.S. holidays. Businesses are more vulnerable when there are fewer workers in the office or workers are more distracted than usual before a long weekend.
Immediate Actions You Can Take Now to Protect Against Ransomware
- Make an offline backup of your data.
- Do not click on suspicious links.
- If you use a remote desktop, secure and monitor it.
- Make sure your software and antivirus are up to date.
- Use strong passwords.
- Use multi-factor authentication.
Here is a link to the alert: https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/alerts/aa21-243a